Friday, December 31, 2010

Winter Break Wonderments


We took 2 weeks off of school for our winter break this year.  Usually I am indifferent of any break or vacation because I still have the same amount of work to do if not more from extra activities.  I'm not complaining that's just part of being a homemaker/mother/wife.  Well this time I was really looking forward to the break.  I told the children maybe this means I'm getting older and am wanting to slow down more. Hopefully not-I dont have time to slow down yet.  : )

Here are some highlights of our winter break:

1.  We bought a winter, porcelean village set and this year I did something different.  I put this set down at everyones level instead of up where it can only be seen and not touched.  I wanted the younger ones to be able to play with this set up. David and Peter set it up.  We told everyone the "rules" of how to play with them-be gentle, no clanking them together, etc).  This little village has brought hours of entertainment.

The winter village

Molly can spend half the day playing with them

2.  Peter and I watched the eclipse together.  It was a little cloudy, but still fun.  We also got to see our neighborhood owl swooping around the back field.

Peter watching eclipes

Lunar Eclipes
 
 3.  Finally got around to cooking the only pumpkin from this years garden.  Washington had such an odd spring weather, which in turn made my garden to be a flop!  Hopefully next year will be better.  Amy and I roasted the seeds and made pies with the pumpkin. 

The lone 2010 pumpkin
Yummy pumpkin pies!
 
4.  Ben, who can be quite industrious, hooked up the laptop to the TV so that we all could all enjoy a nice (screen saver) fire in the fireplace.  It's got the sound effects and everything!

Our TV/Fireplace

 5.  We finally are finishing our dinning room!  The biggest wall is now painted.  I thank Ben for this.  If he hadn't taken on filling of holes, sanding, and doing it all so quickly it wouldn't be done yet. 
Molly doing her part of the dinning room project
 6.  Of course on vacation one should have leisure time!

Amy staying up late reading a good book
Board games!

David reading

Playing cards
Kids took pictures of a hungry squirrel-with chicken bone?

Sam & Molly remembering summer days

7. We think of, miss, and pray often for Seth.  God loves him even more than we ever could.  We received a letter from him this New Years Eve Day.  He says he's doing well and will be glad to be home.

Our back yard sunrise

2 comments:

  1. aww! i remember those sunrises. iwas blessed to have enjoyed them for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They beautiful aren't they. I tell my children that a lot people don't have such a beautiful view, and most people don't have a huge mountain to enjoy like Mt.Rainer.

    ReplyDelete